The Out Building

The "building out back" is set up for display and activities. But look closely at the shelves. There are treasures hidden there. The building was built by students of BOCES: Southwest Tech.


The new space for artifacts gave us room to move a lot of household and workshop tools and large items that just couldn’t fit in the Victorian Manse.


Household items and tools are everywhere. Don't miss the corn sheller. Another item that outgrew the Manse is the large cash register. In the back corner is Gouverneur Fire Department’s first hand-pulled hose cart. 

The wooden cash register was donated to the museum in 1976 by Carlton and Rosalie Force. But long before it held the money a young Carlton received for selling milk at Sylvia Lake, it was Edward Hampton's cash box at E. M. Hampton and Sons Monumental Works and Crystal Ice Company, a coal and ice business.

 

Edward M. Hampton, Carlton's grandfather, purchased the Gouverneur Marble Company from Morris A. Eckman in 1930 and operated it until 1936 when it was sold to the Jones Cut Stone Company, the last marble business to operate in this former marble center. The cash register stayed in the family.

More About the Cash Box

Gouverneur Hose Company No.1 was organized on April 29, 1868 with a hose-carriage, hose, hooks and ladders. The first fire company had been a bucket brigade, organized about 1859. This second fire brigade was organized in 1868 was the Gouverneur Hose Company No.1, complete with red shirts, hats and belts.

This hand-drawn cart was the only fire protection in 1875 when five buildings burned at Main and Park Street. 

The Gralyn Theater served the community from 1920 to 1989. It was demolished in 2000. The projector at the museum was one of two.

Out Building Docent: Joe Laurenza